Sunday, May 23, 2010

Excursion #1

Yesterday the J-School took the group on our first trip outside London, to Stonehenge and Bath. Our whole group has been busy with work and exploring the city in smaller groups, so it was really great to see everyone again!

Stonehenge was about a 2 hour drive from London. I woke up from my nap just in time to see the rock formation out the window, and I must say I was unimpressed at first. It just looked like a bunch of rocks in a circle. When we were admitted to the site, we were given headsets to walk us through a tour. Some of the folklore surrounding Stonehenge was quite humorous, and the weather was beautiful- perfect for photo opps! There is also a huge field of sheep right next to Stonehenge, and we had fun watching them run around.

Bath was our second stop, and it was absolutely spectacular. The buildings in the city are all made of this honey colored stone, and the whole town sits on the river. We had a few hours to explore the city, so we walked around and saw the shops and attempted to go to the Fashion Museum. Somewhere in that time, I thought I had lost my wallet. My friends calmed me down and helped me focus on the day until the bus got back, and thank god it was in my seat. Needless to say, I will be much more careful about my wallet. Then we took a tour of the Roman baths, which was awesome! Archaeologists preserved the sites of a Roman temple and gathering place, so we got to walk through those and see things found at the site. The baths were fully restored, and we walked around and talked to actors in character about the history.

It was a fun day, and now it's work time. We have a paper due for our class tomorrow, so I am hanging out with some people at a cafe and trying to get as much done as I can. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/24mSWI/www.toxel.com/inspiration/2010/04/02/compact-house-for-your-backyard/

    found your hobit house!

    ReplyDelete