Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Another week in paradise

London has been hit by a heat wave.

Temperatures were up to the high 80's on Monday, which coincided perfectly with our group's marathon day of class, media visits and theater excursions. Despite a great day, everyone in our group was tired and agitated from a long day of running around London in heavy dress clothes. It was definitely worth the trouble though. In the morning, we visited the BBC and got a private tour of the world's largest newsroom. Even though I know places like the BBC are news agencies just like every other one, it still feels like a privilege and a surreal experience. We also got to speak with the director of the BBC's Olympic news coverage, and got a sneak peek on how the BBC intends to cover the Games on its home turf.

That night, we journeyed down to the theater district to see Wicked. Other than the jarring nature of hearing random phrases in British accents, the play was great and the actress playing Elphaba was phenomenal. I also ate my first real meal in about two weeks- we stopped at a small Italian restaurant and enjoyed pasta and vegetables with gelato. A nice quiet dinner in a classy, air conditioned place made the night so much better. It was deathly hot underground taking the tube back, so we were all exhausted and ready to sleep.

Another long week at work... two bylines in the next issue! I am also feeling more confident in my interview ability- It's very hard to ask questions and write stories on a topic you don't yet fully understand, but I'm getting closer. One more day of work and one day of classes, and it's off to Paris!!

As promised, here's some pictures...


All the girls at the Covent Gardens Market


Amy and I being touristy in a phone booth


The Millennium Bridge... yes I walked on it, yes I have been to a scene in the HP films :)


Melissa and I at Tower Bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment