Tuesday, May 11, 2010

1 day down...

I was so nervous getting to my internship this morning. I headed out the door this morning knowing only that I needed to get to Oxford Circus on the tube, and get on at the Farringdon station if I could find it. I had to stop and ask for directions more than a few times, and then when I finally made it to my stop, I had to take a gamble on which way my street would be and wander around the shopping district for awhile until I found it. But once I found my office building, and it looked just like the image I saw on Google Maps, I was so proud of myself for getting there.

I can't disclose where I'm interning online because I don't want to get in trouble, but I can tell you that it's a finance magazine. Most of you are probably laughing imagining me dealing with numbers all day. The people at my office were brilliant, as the British like to say, but I had to keep a running word document of all the terms I needed to learn during my internship. It was chaos in the office because it was their publishing day, and I am still jet lagged, so it was a long day. But I did get to experience a day working in the British media, and I got to write up a few briefs and a small story, so not too bad for Day 1.

After work, a few friends and I wandered downtown and ended up eating dinner at a cute hole in the wall Middle Eastern joint- delicious, and probably the cheapest food we'll find around here. Everything is so expensive! Then we went grocery shopping, and I felt so grown up and awesome when I got ID'd buying a bottle of wine. It's amazing how laid back everything is here. Two days in London, and I'm already loving it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment