Thursday, June 3, 2010

Paris, je t'aime!

Here is a LONG OVERDUE blog post… thought it would be important to write about Paris before heading off to Rome!

Paris was absolutely amazing. The weather was disgusting and the tour company we used was terrible, but the trip ended up being a lot of fun anyways. I was really excited to be able to put my five years of French to use, even if it was only to order food and ask directions!

On Saturday, we did a guided bus tour of the major sites in Paris like the Bastille, Les Invalides, the Madeline, and L’Opera Garnier. We were supposed to be able to get out of the bus and take photos, but because of our travel delays we zipped by and barely got any pictures. That night, Danielle, Caitlin, Liz and I ate our weight in crepes (FYI, banana and Nutella crepes are heavenly) and then went to the top of the Eiffel Tower. It was sunset as we headed up the elevators, and by the time we made it to the top of the tower it was dark and the city was illuminated with lights. It was absolutely gorgeous.

Sunday our group started off at Montmartre. We hiked the 150 steps to the top of Sacre Coeur, the beautiful white limestone chapel, to see a panoramic view of the city and to explore the winding side streets. We also stopped at the Place du Tertre, the artists’ square, and the Moulin Rouge. Then we went to Notre Dame, which was absolutely beautiful. Gypsies assaulted us for food before we went into the massive church. It was actually my first time in a Catholic church, let alone one so ominous and beautiful. We accidentally got swept into the procession after the service! We had the afternoon free to explore, and we must have walked miles… we stopped at a street market at Bastille and I bartered successfully, we visited the Arc d’Triomphe, and we just explored the city streets.

That night, all ten of the girls on the trip and Lesa ate an extravagant French dinner at a bistro by the Eiffel Tower. It was more than I had ever paid for a meal, but it was so much fun. Our waiter looked and acted just like Steve from Sex and the City, the food was amazing, and we had loud and hilarious conversations.

Monday we visited the Louvre. It was so crowded that we only had time to hit the highlights before the 10 hour bus trip back home.

It was a fun trip, but I still don’t think we have recovered fully. Work was pretty good this week, I got 5 bylines in the latest issue! Also, our bathroom in the flat flooded last night. I was really not happy because I wasn’t feeling wellProxy-Connection: keep-alive
Cache-Control: max-age=0

nd my ankle was swollen and purple, and I really had just wanted to take a nap. Hopefully that will be taken care of soon!

One more day of classes until Rome! I am so excited! Look on my Facebook for photos from Paris and the rest of my trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment