Thursday, June 24, 2010

Get ready for this... I actually like business journalism.

This has been a mad week in the British business world, and I got a front row seat.

On Tuesday, the new coalition government announced its emergency budget. When I got into the office, everyone was abuzz. Reporters were looking for TV cords to get the cable up and running, and editors were brainstorming potential stories that could come out of the announcement. And as the eager intern, it was my job to go stand outside the Treasury to get a copy of the media pack for the publication.

I took the tube to Westminster and lined up outside the building half an hour early with the other journalists. I didn't realize that the data wouldn't be released until the moment the speech ended, so I didn't bring reading material or anything. Luckily, it was a beautiful day in London, and I watched the suit-clad businessmen and government workers and the large student tour groups walk by. At 1:30 on the dot, the speech ended. I was let into the Treasury gates, presented my ID and then got my hands on the all-important press pack. It was madness on the tube, as it was just about lunch hour, and every train seemed to away from the station as I got to the right queue. I fought the crowds and made my way back to the office, bringing the budget information to the news editor. Within seconds, copies were being made and the reporters were hard at work.

Even though I got the lowly intern duty of waiting in the sun for the budget materials, I got to make a trip down to the Treasury and enjoy some time away from the computer. I have also gotten to write loads of great stories about how aspects of the budget will affect the industry and how people organize their finances.

Sometimes I think business reporting can be a little dry, but I didn't anticipate how interesting it can be sometimes. Business is so interconnected with politics, and the decisions that companies make affect how regular people live their lives. Plus, you don't actually have to have an economic background to report, you just have to be able to learn as you go. Future Wall Street reporter? Probably not, but you never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment